The Singapore Consulate-General wishes everyone safe holidays! Here are some tips that will help keep you and your loved ones safe while travelling in San Francisco. According to news reports, smash-and-grab car break-ins have reached epidemic levels in San Francisco in recent times (see projects.sfchronicle.com/trackers/sf-car-breakins for more information).
To be prepared:
- Ensure that travel documents and valuable possessions are not on public display or left unattended in vehicles (especially rental vehicles), even if it is only for a short while. This is particularly so for popular tourist destinations and shopping areas (e.g. outlet malls). Consider moving your vehicle to a different location each time you load packages in the trunk. Try to use parking lots where there are parking attendants.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Stay alert when using electronic devices.
- Keep your wallet in a hard-to-reach place and carry only the cash and credit cards that you will need to complete your shopping.
- If someone demands your purse, wallet, or packages, surrender them, make note of the suspect’s description and direction they flee and call 911. Items can be replaced.
- Shop with a companion, especially after dark, whenever possible.
View the Safe Shopper Video released by the San Francisco Police Department at https://vimeo.com/193432718.
For more tips on personal and vehicle safety, please visit San Francisco Safety Awareness for Everyone (SAFE) at https://www.sfsafe.org.