Application for Singapore Passport Overseas
To be eligible to apply for a passport, you must be a Singapore citizen.
Collection of New Passport
Passport collection and safekeeping is a responsibility of each citizen. Please ensure that you collect your passport using the most secure option possible to reduce the chances of your passport being lost/damaged in transit. You are strongly encouraged to collect your passport in person from Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) in Singapore or at the High Commission in Canberra.
In view of the current interstate travel restrictions, you may collect your passport by post or courier, following a face-to-face verification with the High Commission via Skype. Cost of the postage/courier service will be borne by the applicants. Ensure your Australian contact details are updated and you remain accessible by email or phone. The Singapore High Commission will notify you and you will receive instructions on the collection after we received your new passport from ICA. Once your identity has been verified via Skype, you will need to submit your current/old passport for cancellation. Your old passport will be invalidated and returned to you together with the new passport.
Validity of Singapore Passport
The current validity period of the Singapore passport is 5 years. If you have a valid passport with a remaining validity of nine months or less when applying for the new passport, the remaining validity will be carried over to your new passport. In this case, your new passport will have a validity of five years, plus the remaining validity of your old passport (up to nine months).
For passport applications for Singapore Citizens aged 16 and above who submit a passport application on or after 1 October 2021, the validity period of the Singapore passport, issued by ICA, will be increased from the current 5 years to 10 years. This will reduce the frequency of passport renewals, and offer greater convenience to Singaporeans. There will be no change to the passport application fee. The validity period of the passport issued to children below 16 years old will remain at five years.
For further information on passport validity, please refer to the list of FAQs on ICA's website here.
Refer to the instructions and Notes below.
Online Application with Singpass (Recommended)
SINGPASS: Need to apply for a Singpass and Singpass token? Visit the Singpass website here to find out more.
PROCEDURE: Online using your Singpass
1. Check your particulars and enter your Australian contact details (mobile, email address and residential address)
2. Select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to “Are you collecting in Singapore?”. If you select ‘No’, then select ‘CANBERRA’ as the collection centre
3. Attach a digital copy of your passport photo when prompted
4. Confirm your application details
5. Submit payment when prompted
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: A digital version of your recent passport-sized colour photograph taken within the last three months and against a white background. Your photo must follow ICA’s photo requirements here failing which your application will be delayed. The digital format should be JPEG, 400px by 514px, max 150kb.
FEES: SGD 70 fee, payable online by Visa/Mastercard Debit/Credit card or American Express card, OR Internet Banking account from DBS/POSB, Citibank, OCBC or UOB.
PROCESSING TIME: Three to four weeks, pending all information submitted duly. You may check your application status here.
Hard-copy Application by Mail
PROCEDURE: Mail* the documents required, and payment, by trackable - registered or express platinum - post or courier service to the address below. At the point of mailing, retain a record of your tracking number to allow you to track the delivery of your postage.
Attn: Consular officer
Singapore High Commission in Canberra
17 Forster Crescent
Yarralumla, ACT 2600
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: Attach the following form and supporting documents:
1. Printed and completed overseas application form - downloadable via this link Singapore Passport Application (overseas).
2. One passport-sized colour photograph taken within the last three months and against a white background. Your photo must follow ICA’s photo guidelines here failing which your application will be delayed.
3. Photocopy of current Singapore passport
4. Your Australian email address, mobile number and residential address indicated on a separate sheet of paper
5. (If male) Copy of valid Exit Permit or Notice of Exemption
6. (If over 16 years old) Photocopy of Identity Card (NRIC)
7. (If below 16 years old) Photocopy of Identity Card (NRIC) of a consenting parent or legal guardian
8. (If below 16 years old or without NRIC card) Photocopy of birth or citizenship certificate
9. (If change of name due to marriage or deed poll) Photocopy of marriage certificate or deed poll. For married name, please specify how you wish your married name to appear in the new passport.
FEES: Payment of AUD 82 for passport application fee, prepared as:
For security reasons, please do not send cash by mail
PROCESSING TIME: Four to six weeks, if ICA has all the necessary documents. You may check your application status by emailing us at email@example.com if you have not heard from us after four weeks.
If you have lost your passport, please refer to the Passport Replacement section of the website.