From 1 October 2019, visitors, including Singapore passport holders, must have a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) before travelling to or transiting in New Zealand. This is a new border security measure introduced by the New Zealand government. The NZeTA is not a visa and does not guarantee entry into New Zealand. On arrival in New Zealand, visitors must still meet all existing entry requirements, such as holding an onward travel ticket, being a bona fide visitor and being in good health. Visitors should request an NZeTA well in advance of their trip, as it can take up to 72 hours to process. The NZeTA costs NZ$9 through the mobile app (App Store for iOSGoogle Play for Android) and NZ$12 through the website.


What the Consular Officer can do

  • Provide information, advice and consular assistance.
  • Issue emergency travel document if you lose your passport.
  • Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event that you are injured abroad.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event of your arrest or detention.
  • Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned, and monitor that due process under the judicial system of New Zealand is accorded to him or her.
  • Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services where this is available.
  • Assist in the arrangements for the return of the remains of a deceased Singaporean in the event of his/her demise to Singapore.
  • Assist in the arrangements for the return of personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean.
  • Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder.
  • Certification of documents as a Notary Public.

What the Consular Officer cannot do

  • Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
  • Provide loans or cash your cheques.
  • Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
  • Intervene in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
  • Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
  • Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
  • Arrange for your accommodation or for work.

What should you do while in New Zealand

  • Obey the laws and respect the local customs.
  • Take special care of your passport and other documents of identification and keep them in a safe place.
  • Don’t carry too much cash or other valuables.
  • Always take care of personal safety and security.
  • Never carry packages through customs on behalf of other people.
  • Check out the customs regulations concerning import and export of items.
  • If you plan to drive in New Zealand, be sure that you carry your valid Singapore driver’s licence/an international driving licence. This will enable you to drive in New Zealand for a maximum period of one year from the date of your arrival.
  • Make sure you know the New Zealand Road Rules
  • Stay in touch with your family in Singapore and inform them of any change in your itinerary or contact details.

What should you do if arrested

  • If you are arrested and charged with an offence when you are in New Zealand, remain calm and co-operative. Request the authorities to inform the Singapore High Commission. Ask your relatives and friends to contact the Singapore High Commission or the Consular Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore.

What should you do if your passport is lost/stolen

  • First, report to the local police and obtain a copy of the report. Secondly, contact the Singapore High Commission and inform of your loss to apply for a Document of Identity. Bring the police report, documentary proof of your identity (for e.g. NRIC) and two passport-sized photographs to the High Commission.

    It is advisable for all Singapore travellers to make photocopies of your passport and NRIC when travelling overseas in the event that you lose your identification and travel documents or they are stolen.

What should you do if you lose your money and valuables

  • Make a police report at the local police station and obtain a statement about the loss. Then contact the Singapore High Commission if you need any help. In an emergency, you can arrange for funds to be remitted to you by your family or friends through a bank. If this is not possible, your family or friends can remit funds to you via the Singapore High Commission by depositing the funds with the Consular Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

What should you do if injured or sick

  • Get in touch with the Singapore High Commission.

What should you do if a Singaporean dies in New Zealand

  • Get in touch with the Singapore High Commission. The High Commission will render the necessary advice and assistance.

What should you do in the event that a disaster or civil disorder occurs

  • If in the event of civil unrest which threatens your safety, you should immediately get in touch with the Singapore High Commission and provide your contact details

Registration in New Zealand

  • If you intend to remain in New Zealand for more than six months, all Singaporeans are encouraged to register with the Singapore High Commission via eRegister at This is so that we can stay in touch with Singaporeans and provide assistance in times of emergency. The registration will also facilitate dissemination of information on events organised by the High Commission. All information provided would be kept confidential.

Travel Page