For general information, please visit the Registry of Marriages website or the Registry of Muslim Marriages website.

Marriages in Singapore can be either civil or religious. In both instances a license has to be obtained from the Registrar of Marriages. Persons intending marriages, whether Singaporeans or foreigners, are required to produce passports and evidence of the termination of any previous marriages, if any, i.e. divorce decrees or death certificates.

A 15-day continuous residence in Singapore is required of one of the parties to the proposed marriage. At the end of this period, either party must file a notice of intention to marry with the Registrar of Marriages. After the notice has been filed, there is a 21-day waiting period while the banns are published. Parties to the proposed marriage need not be present in Singapore during the 21-day period waiting period while the banns are published.

Request for Certificate of No Impediment

The laws of some countries require that, before a foreigner may marry within their jurisdiction, he/she must produce a certificate issued by the relevant authority of the country of which he/she is a national, stating that the authority does not know of any impediment to the marriage. Such a certificate is known as a Certificate of No Impediment or Nulla Osta Certificate or Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry.

The Singapore Registry of Marriages (ROM) does not issue a Certificate of No Impediment. However, a Singapore citizen residing or working overseas may search for marriage records online.

Travel Page