Diplomatic relations between Singapore and Japan were formally established on 26 April 1966. For the first two years, the Embassy actually operated from the annex building of the Imperial Hotel. In 1968, the Embassy moved to the 30-storey Kasumigaseki Building, Tokyo’s first modern skyscraper in Chiyoda ward.
n 1973, the Singapore Government purchased a plot of land in the Roppongi district, Minato ward where many foreign embassies are located. Construction of the Embassy was completed in 1978. The Embassy complex, which consists of the main chancery, the Ambassador’s residence and several staff apartments, was designed by renowned Japanese architect Shinichi Okada, who also designed Japan’s award-winning Supreme Court located in Chiyoda ward. The Embassy’s Japanese garden was designed by Junichi Inada, who has worked with Singapore's National Parks and Botanic Gardens for several years.
A stone’s throw from the Embassy is bustling Azabu Juban town, where many traditional Japanese and upmarket shops and restaurants are located. Close to the Embassy is the International House of Japan, which was built in 1955, and Toyo Eiwa Girls School, one of the oldest schools in Tokyo (founded in 1884). Two modern complexes, Roppongi Hills and Tokyo Midtown, are within a few minutes walk from the Embassy.