The Consulate-General provides assistance to Singaporeans who lost or had their passports stolen while visiting China.

Please call the Consulate-General Consular Section at Tel: +86 (021) 6278 5566 during office hours to report the loss.  After office hours, please call the Consulate-General Duty Officer at +86 138 0194 9439 if assistance is required.


Singaporeans who lost their passports while travelling in China should first report the loss to a neighbourhood police post or the relevant Chinese authority (it is usually the local Entry-Exit Administration Bureau).  Please request a copy of the Confirmation of Loss of Passport Report.  If your passport was lost or stolen outside of Shanghai and you wish to depart from Shanghai, the lost report should be lodged with the local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau and not the police station.


The contact details of the Exit-Entry Administration Bureaus in Shanghai and the capitals of the neighbouring provinces are as follows:


Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau

Address: 1500 Pudong Minsheng Road, Shanghai

Contact no: +86 (021) 2895 1900


Nanjing Exit-Entry Administration Bureau (Jiangsu Province)

Address: 173 Baixia Road, Qinhuai District, Nanjing

Contact no: +86 (025) 8442 0254


Hangzhou Exit-Entry Administration Bureau (Zhejiang Province)

Address: No. 35 Hua Guang Road, Hangzhou

Contact no: +86 (0571) 8728 0185 or +86 (0571) 8707 1973


Hefei Exit-Entry Administration Bureau (Anhui Province)

Address: 2588 Nanjing Road, Binhu New District, Hefei

Contact no: +86 (0551) 6262 4550


Together with the loss report, please approach the Consulate-General with one passport-sized photograph (instant photograph is acceptable).  The person concerned should also show documentary evidence of his/her citizenship (the document should preferably have your photo on it, eg. NRIC or driving license), if available.


If you wish to return to Singapore immediately, a Document of Identity (DOI) may be issued to you upon confirmation of your citizenship from the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). With the DOI, you are required to go to the local Entry-Exit Administration Bureau to obtain an Exit Permit before you could leave China.  You may be required to prove to the Entry-Exit Administration Bureau that you have registered with a hotel or a local police station when you first arrived in China.This is to facilitate investigation by the Entry-Exit Administration Bureau before they could issue you with an Exit Permit to leave China.


We suggest that you update your registration with the DOI number in place of your passport number before proceeding to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of your departure city.  However, you should still contact the respective Exit-Entry Bureau to confirm the procedures and documents required.  It may take up to 7 working days to obtain the Exit Permit for foreigners who have lost their passports in China.


Upon your return to Singapore, you will need to surrender the DOI and apply for a new passport at ICA.

For Singapore citizens who are working or studying in the country, the Consulate-General can assist you in your application for a replacement passport. Please see Application of Singapore Biometric Passport for more information.


If you manage to recover your lost passport, please inform the Consulate-General immediately.


Fees Payable

RMB 80 (Document of Identity)


Processing Time:

1 working day (for DOI if identity of applicant can be verified)

4 to 6 weeks (for application of a new passport)


Other Information

If you need advice or more information, please contact the Consulate-General at:

Tel: +86 (021) 6278 5566



Important Notice


Please note that if your passport is lost or damaged, you are not allowed to apply for a new passport online.  You must apply for a new passport in person at the Consulate-General.




Travel Page