What can our Consular Officer assist in?

  • Provide you with information, advice and consular assistance.
  • Issue you with an emergency travel document if you have lost your Singapore passport overseas. 
    Note: It is an immigration requirement that you report the loss of your passport to the local police and furnish our Mission with a copy of this report.
  • Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are injured abroad.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are arrested or detained abroad.
  • Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned abroad and monitor that due process under the judicial system of that country is accorded to him or her.
  • Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services, where this is available.
  • Help in arranging for the remains and personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean to be returned to Singapore.
  • Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder in the foreign country.

What can our Consular Officer not assist in?

  • Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
  • Provide loans or cash your cheques.
  • Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
  • Intervene in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
  • Intervene in or act as an intermediary in disputes which are of a civil or commercial nature.
  • Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
  • Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
  • Arrange for your accommodation or for your employment.
  • Provide translation, mail-forwarding, telephone, fax/telex or other personal services.


For more information, please visit: Consular Services

What should you do while in Vietnam

  • Obey the laws and respect the local customs.
  • Take extra care of your passport and other documents of identification and keep them in a safe place. Please carry photocopies of your passport and NRIC and keep your NRIC separately from your passport.
  • Don’t carry too much cash or other valuables.
  • Always take care of personal safety and security.
  • Never carry packages through customs on behalf of other people.
  • Ensure you have adequate travel insurance.
  • If you plan to drive/ride in Vietnam, make sure you know the local transport rules. Vietnam observes right-hand traffic, with motor vehicles being being left-hand drive. Be sure to carry your valid Singapore driver’s licence and Vietnamese driving licence. (Note: International driving licence is not recognized here, you would need to convert a translated version of the Singapore driving licence with the local authorities, in person. This process can take about two weeks to a month. Motor insurance coverage is mandatory.)
  • Stay in touch with your family in Singapore and inform them of any change in your itinerary or contact details.


What should you do if arrested

  • If you are arrested and charged with a criminal offence when you are in Southern Vietnam, remain calm and co-operative. Engage a lawyer to advise you on your rights.
  • Request the authorities to inform the Consulate-General. Ask your relatives and friends to contact the Consulate-General or the Consular Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore.


What should you do if you lose your money and valuables


  • Make a police report at the local police station which is in-charge of the area where the incident occurred at (please check with hotel staff) and obtain a statement about the loss (in English – which you may write on your own but the original report must be stamped by the local police),
  • Check with your insurance company what other documents are required,
  • Arrange for funds to be remitted to you from your family/friends through a interbank transfer or money remittance agency (eg Western Union, OCBC, UOB, etc),
  • Contact the Consulate-General if you need consular assistance.
  • In an emergency (eg accident), you can arrange for your family/friends to remit funds to you through MFA.


For information on visa requirements for Singapore Passport, please visit: Visa Information

For information on travel notices, please visit: Travel Tips

Travel Page