Child Born Overseas

For overseas births, parents should register the child’s birth and obtain a birth certificate where the child is born. You may wish to apply for Singapore citizenship for your overseas-born child.

All births in Singapore must be registered at the Registry of Births & Deaths or a birth registration centre. Once registered, a birth certificate will be issued. The birth can be registered by the child’s parents or by a proxy on behalf of the parents if he/she has a letter of authorisation from the parents.

Confirmation of Singapore Citizenship Status

You can request a formal Singapore citizenship confirmation letter from ICA. To find out how to do so, please click here.

Oath-taking for Minors

Minors who obtained Singapore citizenship by descent or registration must take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance and Loyalty (ORAL) after turning 21 and before their 22nd birthday to retain their Singapore citizenship.

If you do not take the ORAL within 12 months of turning 21, you will automatically lose your Singapore citizenship on your 22nd birthday. If this happens, there is no guarantee you will be able to continue studying, working or living in Singapore on any form of Student's Pass, Work Pass or Visit Pass, or as a permanent resident.

Please click here to find out how you can take the ORAL.

Loss/Damage of Citizenship Certificate

If your Singapore Citizenship is lost or damaged, you can apply for a replacement by submitting a request in writing and completing a statutory declaration. Please note that the application can only be done in Singapore. For more information on the process to do so, please click here.

Travel Page