Citizen Services (Generic Information)

Permanent Resident Services (Generic Information)


Apart from the usual representational functions, the Singapore High Commission also provides consular services to Singaporeans working/residing in Brunei. In addition, it also processes and issues Social Visit Passes to non-citizens who wish to enter Singapore.


What the Consular Officers can do?


  • Provide information, advice and consular assistance.
  • Issue emergency travel document if you lose your passport.
  • Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary   emergency expenses.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are injured abroad.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event of your arrest or detention.
  • Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned and monitor that due process under the judicial system of Brunei is accorded to him or her.
  • Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services where this is available.
  • Make arrangements for the return to Singapore of the remains and personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean.
  • Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder.
  • Certification of documents as a Notary Public.

What the Consular Officers cannot do?


  • Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
  • Provide loans or cash your cheques.
  • Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
  • Intervene in the judicial process of a foreigh country or ignore local laws.
  • Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
  • Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
  • Arrange for your accommodation or for work.

What you should do while in Brunei?

  • Obey the laws and respect the local customs.
  • Take special care of your passport and other documents of identification and keep them in a safe place.
  • Don’t carry too much cash or other valuables.
  • Always take care of personal safety and security.
  • Never carry packages through customs on behalf of other people.
  • Check out the customs regulations concerning import and export of items.
  • If you drive, be sure that you have an International Driving Permit.
  • Make sure you know the local rules of the road.
  • Stay in touch with your family in Singapore and inform them of any change in your itinerary or contact details.

What should you do if you are arrested ?


  • If you are arrested and charged with an offence when you are in Brunei, remain calm and cooperative. Request the authorities to inform the Singapore High Commission. As your relatives and friends to contact the Singapore High Commission or the Consular Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore.

What should you do if you lose your passport ?


  • Report first to the local police and obtain a copy of the report. Then contact the Singapore High Commission for a Document of Identity. Bring the police report, documentary proof of your identity and two passport-sized photographs.

What should you do if you lose your money and valuables ?

  • Make a police report at the local police station and obtain a statement about the loss. Then contact the Singapore High Commission if you need any help. In an emergency, you can arrange for funds to be remitted to you by your family or friends through a bank. If this is not possible, your family or friends can remit funds to you via the Singapore High Commission by depositing the funds with the Consular Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

What should you do if you are injured or sick ?


  • Get in touch with the Singapore High Commission.

What should you do if someone dies ?


  • Get in touch with the Singapore High Commission. The High Commission will render the necessary advice and assistance.

What should you do if a civil disorder occurs ?


  • If in the event of civil unrest which threatens your safety, you should immediately get in touch with the Singapore High Commission and provide your contact details.



  • If you intend to remain in Brunei for more than six months, it is advisable that you register yourself at the Singapore High Commission.

Travel Page