If you wish to include your married name or legal change of name in your passport, please come to the Consular Section of the Singapore Embassy with the following:

  • originals and photocopies of your current passport;
  • originals and photocopies of your Singapore identity card;
  • originals and photocopies of your marriage certificate (inclusive of married name);
  • originals and photocopies of the Deed Poll (legal change of name); and
  • letter indicating your request.

The Deed Poll (this document may be known by other names in other countries) can be applied from any lawyer's office with payment of the appropriate fees. The lawyers would be best placed to advise you on the procedures related to applying for a Deed Poll. With the Deed Poll, you can subsequently approach the Embassy/ICA to change your name in your Passport (Note: The Birth Register cannot be amended via Deed Poll).

Together with the above documentation, you will have to submit a new passport application to ICA through the Embassy. The passport fee is S$80.

Your request will then be forwarded to Singapore for processing. You will be notified when the new passport with the new name is ready for collection at the Embassy. The processing will take 4 to 6 weeks.


Alteration of Name for Child in Passport

For children below the age of 21 years, the change of name will only be effected in the passport. Please note that for the child, the Deed Poll must be executed by a parent (or legal guardian) and the consent of the other parent must be sought for the change of name. Both parents will have to sign to acknowledge consent. (Note: The Birth Register or Birth certificate cannot be amended as mentioned earlier).

Other than the Deed Poll, please follow the above procedures for changing of name in the passport.

By law, alteration of a child's name in the Birth Register cannot be done if the child is 12 months old or more.


Alteration of Name for Infant in Passport & Birth Certificate

For infants below 12 months old, they should follow the above steps to change the names in their passports. In addition, they can also apply to alter the name of the child in the Birth Register. Please contact the Embassy for procedures on the latter.


Alteration of Name of Adult & Child in Identity Card

The Embassy is unable to assist in these matters. By Singapore law, an IC holder who changes his name should apply for a replacement identity card within 28 days. You may visit ICA’s website here for more information. 

Alternatively, registrants can call in person at:

Counter 1, IC Section
Citizen Services Centre
3rd Storey, ICA Building
10 Kallang Road
(Next to Lavender MRT station)
Singapore 208718

Replacement of IC has to be done in person at ICA. Applicants who are overseas are advised to go down to ICA in Singapore to alter the name in their IC. The applicant will have to produce the original deed poll, IC, passport ,one IC photo and a replacement fee of S$60. The new IC will be produced and issued within a day.


Travel Page