The Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore in Chengdu is not authorised to solemnise or register marriages.

The Consulate-General and the Singapore Registry of Marriages (ROM)/ Registry of Muslim Marriages (ROMM) do not issue Certificates of No Impediment (无配偶证明). You may apply to ROM/ ROMM at to obtain the official Search for Marriage Records conducted on the marriage registers. The official search result can be collected at ROM/ ROMM or delivered to you by mail. Delivery to an overseas address via registered post may take longer. The Consulate-General may provide only a Letter of Marriage Record, where it is required by the Chinese authorities (e.g., with a written request from a Chinese authority).
Singaporeans who wish to register their marriage in China may provide the Chinese authorities with relevant official documents, which have been duly legalised, as proof of your marital status. These documents may include:
  • An official Search for Marriage Record issued by ROM/ ROMM
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce/ Annulment documents (e.g., Certificate of Final Judgement issued by the Family Justice Courts of Singapore)
  • Death Certificate of Spouse
[For more information on legalising your Singapore documents for use in China, kindly refer to the Singapore Academy of Law’s website.]
Alternatively, a statutory declaration affirming your marital status may also be executed in-person at the Consulate-General. For execution of the statutory declaration, please bring along your valid identity document (i.e., passport), and the relevant original/ certified/ legalised documents corresponding to your marital status/ history.


A Singaporean who is desirous of marrying a work permit/ex-work permit holder is required to seek the prior approval of the Controller of Work Permits before contracting marriage in Singapore or elsewhere. If approval is granted, the couple can then call personally at the Singapore Registry of Marriages with their identity card/passport, birth certificate and the approval letter to file the required 21 day notice of marriage. Solemnization of the marriage can be effected after the expiration of 21 days but before the expiration of 3 months from the date of the notice of marriage. Please contact the Marriage Screening Section, Ministry of Manpower 18 Havelock Road Singapore 059764. Tel: (65) 6539 5321 on the procedure for applying for approval to marry a work permit/ex-work permit holder and whether there is a need for approval if you do not intend to reside in Singapore.

All marriages contracted or solemnised outside Singapore ─

(a)  which have been registered in accordance with and are valid under the law of the place in which the marriages were contracted or celebrated; and

(b)  to which both parties possess the capacity to marry under the law of their respective countries of domicile,

are valid in Singapore. The final arbiter of any dispute as to the validity of such marriages in Singapore is the Court of Law.


Please visit the Registry of Marriages website for other details on marriages. There is no provision in the Women's Charter (Chapter 353) to empower the Registrar of Marriages to re-register a marriage contracted and already registered outside Singapore.

The registration of marriage between a non-Singaporean and a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident does not automatically accord the non-Singaporean spouse the right of permanent residence in Singapore.

If you would like further information on marriage-related matters, you may write or fax to:

Registry of Marriages
7 Canning Rise
Singapore 179869
Tel: 1800-337 5339 (toll-free), (65) 6339 8783, 6338 7808, 6338 9987
Fax: (65) 6339 3328

Travel Page