Home / Consular Services / Singapore Citizens / I Need Help Overseas / General Consular Assistance

General Consular Assistance

What can MFA do for me?

  • We can provide you with information, advice and consular assistance.


  • We can issue emergency travel documents if you have lost your passport overseas.


  • We can request financial assistance on your behalf from your friends or relatives.


  • We can notify your friends or relatives if you have been injured or arrested abroad.


  • We can provide a list of officially registered lawyers or translators if required.


  • We can assist in arranging the repatriation of the remains and personal belongings of the deceased.


  • We can assist in the event of natural disasters, civil disorder, or terrorist attacks in the foreign country.

What are you unable to do for me?

  • We cannot pay for your medical, legal, accommodation, or travel expenses.


  • We cannot provide you with loans or cash.


  • We cannot intervene in a foreign judicial system if you have been detained, post bail, or pay fines.


  • We cannot intervene in civil or commercial disputes.


  • We cannot provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings for you.


  • We cannot act as your guarantor or sponsor.


  • We cannot find accommodation or employment for you.


  • We cannot provide translation, mail-forwarding, telephone, or other personal services.

Stories we want to share with you on what we can and cannot do for you.

We treat all requests for consular assistance seriously, and remain committed to providing efficient and responsive consular assistance to distressed Singaporeans abroad. We are heartened and encouraged by Singaporeans expressing their appreciation for our assistance, but some cases have been challenging to handle.


  • A Singaporean was evicted from a cruise liner following a heated argument with several crew members. He was eventually offered partial compensation by the cruise company after mediation, but rejected the offer and demanded a full cruise package of Europe instead. He insisted that MFA assist him in getting the full package from the cruise company in America. He even turned abusive towards the MFA officer attending to him when told that MFA could not intervene in the dispute. We would like to stress that we cannot intervene in civil or commercial disputes.

  • A Singaporean requested MFA to convince her adult daughter who was living overseas to return to Singapore. The daughter informed MFA that she wanted to remain overseas to pursue her dream of being a missionary. However, the Singaporean believed that her daughter had been brainwashed and requested her Member of Parliament to direct MFA to escort her daughter back to Singapore. We would like to stress that we cannot intervene in disputes between you and your family members or others.

  • A Singaporean travelling to India found out that the Indian authorities had terminated the circulation and use of its 500 and 1000 Rupee notes. She requested the banks in Singapore and the Indian Embassy to exchange her notes for smaller denominations but to no avail. The Singaporean subsequently approached MFA and sought our assistance to help her exchange the notes. We would like to stress that we are not a money changer. We are also not a travel agency.

Travel Page