What should I do if lose my passport overseas?
If you have lost your passport overseas, we advise to do the following:
- Check and confirm the loss of your passport as passports reported lost will be cancelled and cannot be used, even if recovered after reporting.
- Upon confirming the loss of your passport, lodge a police report with the local police immediately, and contact the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission. Proceed to the Singapore Embassy/Mission with the police report, two recent passport-sized photographs, documentary proof of your citizenship status and identity (e.g. Identity Card, Birth Certificate).
- Alternatively, you can use your SingPass to login to ICA’s website here to report the loss. As the issuance of a new passport may take up to 6 to 8 weeks, you will need a Document of Identity (DOI) to return to Singapore. You will be prompted to “Apply for a DOI” when reporting the loss of your passport on ICA’s website.
- Please click “Yes” when prompted to “Apply for a DOI”. After providing all necessary information (including the location of the loss of your passport) in the DOI application, you can choose which Singapore Overseas Mission you wish to collect your DOI from and if you would like to make payment online or at the Mission. After ICA approves your DOI, please forward ICA’s email to the Embassy/Mission in order for them to provide you with further instructions.
- Our Embassy/Mission will issue a DOI to enable you to return to Singapore after your particulars have been verified. The DOI application fee is SGD15 (or local currency equivalent if applying at Embassy/Mission). Singaporeans issued with a DOI should not attempt to continue their travel or cross borders between countries. If necessary, do check with the relevant immigration authorities and airlines if you are allowed to continue with your travel. Upon your return to Singapore, you would need to apply for a new passport at the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).
- For Singaporeans who are working or studying in the country, our Embassy/Mission will assist you in your application for a replacement passport.
If your passport is lost in a country with no Singapore Embassy, you may contact the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission for assistance. For more information on reporting the loss of a Singapore passport, please visit ICA’s website or write to them at email@example.com.