Home / Services / Singapore Citizens / I Need Help Overseas / Death


What should I do if a family member or friend dies overseas? 

Please get in touch with the nearest
Singapore Overseas Mission or the MFA Duty Office at +65 6379 8800. You may also refer to the attached guide: A Guide for Next-of-Kin (55.26KB).


MFA can help you with the following:

  • We can help notify the deceased’s next-of-kin.

  • We can provide the deceased’s family with a list of local undertakers if required.

  • We can advise on the cost of burial or cremation in the foreign country, or that of returning the remains to Singapore.

  • We can assist the deceased’s family or friends in registering the death abroad of a Singaporean.

  • We can assist in transferring funds to pay for burial or cremation expenses. (Only in locations where Singapore Embassies are present.)

  • We can assist in arranging the repatriation of the remains and personal belongings of the deceased.

What MFA is unable to do if a Singaporean dies overseas?

  • We cannot investigate the cause of death or a possible murder.

  • We cannot make an insurance claim on the family’s behalf.

  • We cannot pay any burial or cremation expenses, nor outstanding debts of the deceased.

  • We cannot pay for the return of the deceased’s remains to Singapore.


Travel Page