What should I do if a family member or friend dies overseas?
Please get in touch with the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission or the MFA Duty Office at +65 6379 8800. You may also refer to the attached guide: A Guide for Bereaved Families (136.90KB).
What Our Consular Officers can do
- Notify the Next-of-Kin (NOK) on the death.
- Provide a list of local undertakers for the NOK to liaise with them directly.
- Advise on the approximate cost of local burial/cremation, transportation of remains and personal belongings of the deceased to Singapore.
- We can assist in transferring funds to pay for burial or cremation expenses. (Only in locations where Singapore Overseas Missions are present.)
What Our Consular Officers cannot do
- Investigate the cause of death.
- Make insurance claims on behalf of the family of the deceased.
- Provide legal advice.
- Pay for burial or cremation expenses.
- Pay for the return of the remains to Singapore.
- Pay for any outstanding bills or debts. In the event of inadequate medical/travel insurance, the NOK or friends of the deceased would have to cover these expenses.