What should I do if a family member or friend dies overseas?
Please get in touch with the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission or the MFA Duty Office at +65 6379 8800. You may also refer to the attached guide: A Guide for Next-of-Kin.
MFA can help you with the following:
- We can help notify the deceased’s next-of-kin.
- We can provide the deceased’s family with a list of local undertakers if required.
- We can advise on the cost of burial or cremation in the foreign country, or that of returning the remains to Singapore.
- We can assist the deceased’s family or friends in registering the death abroad of a Singaporean.
- We can assist in transferring funds to pay for burial or cremation expenses. (Only in locations where Singapore Embassies are present.)
- We can assist in arranging the repatriation of the remains and personal belongings of the deceased.
What are you unable to do if a Singaporean dies overseas?
- We cannot investigate the cause of death or a possible murder.
- We cannot make an insurance claim on the family’s behalf.
- We cannot pay any burial or cremation expenses, nor outstanding debts of the deceased.
- We cannot pay for the return of the deceased’s remains to Singapore.