Home / Consular Services / Singapore Citizens / I Need Help Overseas / Death


What should I do if a family member or friend dies overseas? 

Please get in touch with the nearest
Singapore Overseas Mission or the MFA Duty Office at +65 6379 8800. You may also refer to the attached guide: A Guide for Bereaved Families (177.31KB).


What Our Consular Officers can do

  • Notify the Next-of-Kin (NOK) on the death.
  • Provide a list of local undertakers for the NOK to liaise with them directly.
  • Advise on the approximate cost of local burial/cremation, transportation of remains and personal belongings of the deceased to Singapore.
  • We can assist in transferring funds to pay for burial or cremation expenses. (Only in locations where Singapore Overseas Missions are present.)


What Our Consular Officers cannot do

  • Investigate the cause of death.
  • Make insurance claims on behalf of the family of the deceased.
  • Provide legal advice.
  • Pay for burial or cremation expenses.
  • Pay for the return of the remains to Singapore.
  • Pay for any outstanding bills or debts. In the event of inadequate medical/travel insurance, the NOK or friends of the deceased would have to cover these expenses.

Travel Page