Embassy of the Republic of Singapore - Tokyo
Home   |  日本語   
Overseas Voters

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q1: Can I apply for a visa at the Singapore Embassy or the office of Honorary Consulate-General?

A: Please visit one of the authorized visa agents for visa application.

Q2: If I am a permanent resident in Japan do I need still need a visa?

A: Visa requirement is dependent on your nationality/country of the passport you are holding, regardless of your residency status in Japan. Please click here to check if your nationality require a visa to Singapore.

Q3: If I do not have a local contact in Singapore, do I still need to submit V39A /Letter of Introduction (LOI)?
A: You are encouraged to submit V39A/LOI if available.
If you do not have a contact/sponsor from Singapore, please provide an explanation letter in English, and other supporting documents (e.g. invoice of tour package which you have signed up, invitation letter, etc). The Embassy may also require V39A or additional documents on a case-by-case basis.

Q4: What kind of visa can I apply for? Can I apply for long term stay visa?
A: You can only apply for entry visa to Singapore for short stay (business/social visit).

For employment pass/work permit/dependent pass, please refer to the Ministry of Manpower

For student pass and other long term visit pass, please refer to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

Q5: When should I start applying for visa? How long does it take to process?

A: You may apply for visa as early as 30 days before your travel.

The processing time for Assessment Level 1 applicants is about 1-3 working days, and about 3-5 working days for Assessment Level 2 applicants. However, we seek your understanding that some applications may take a longer time to process.

Q6: I have the Japan Re-entry Permit as a travel document. Do I need a visa?

A: Yes, visa is required for holders of Re-entry Permit to Japan (issued by the Japan Ministry of Justice).

Q7: I have renewed my passport. How do I transfer a valid visa from my old passport to the new one? 

A: Application for visa transfer can be done at the Embassy or the office of the Honorary Consulate-General in Osaka or Nagoya. Please bring the following documents when applying for visa transfer:

- completed Form 14A
- valid visa
- original and a photocopy of your Japan residence card
- original and a photocopy of old passport
- original and a photocopy of new passport
- passport-size photo (against white background)

Q8: Do I need to show/give my original passport to the authorized visa agent to apply visa? 

A: Yes, for verification. But only the photocopy of the passport cover and biodata page need to be submitted. 

Q9: If I am transiting through Singapore, do I still need a visa?

A: Generally, no visa is required to transit in Singapore if you do not need to go through immigration clearances. However, as some airlines do not set up counters within the transit area, you will need to clear immigration during your transit. Under such circumstances, visa would be required if you are from a visa required country. Hence, please check with the airlines concerned if you are required to obtain a visa during your transit in Singapore.

Q10: Can I know the reason for the rejection of my visa application?

A: We are unable to disclose the reason(s) for rejected applications. Applications with incomplete information, submission of unsuitable/wrong photograph, untruthful declaration, lack of reliable supporting documents, etc. could lead to visa rejection.


Office hours: Weekdays,
9.00 am to 5.30 pm

Counter/Notarial Service: Weekdays, 9.30 am to 12.00 pm*
* Appointment is required for services in the afternoon 

The Embassy is closed on weekends, public holidays in Japan and Singapore National Day on 9 Aug.

List of Embassy holidays in 2018, 2019

Address 5-12-3 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032

+81 (3) 3586-9111/2
Fax +81 (3) 3582-1085
Email singemb_tyo@mfa.sg

Emergency No.
For consular emergencies after office hours call
+81 (90) 3208-4122

Location Map

Honorary Consulate-General

  • HCG in Osaka
    Tel: +81 (72) 223-6911

  • HCG in Nagoya
    Tel: +81 (52) 935-1258

OM e-banner - DRAFT V2b
OSU Logo