Visa Requirements for India
- Singaporeans are required to obtain a visa before travelling to India. As visa requirements often change at short notice, we advise you to contact the High Commission of India in Singapore for up-to-date information.
- e-Visa Facility for Entry into India – The Indian e-Visa is valid for entry through 24 designated airports (i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum & Varanasi) and 3 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore). However, the Indian e-Visa holder can exit from any of the authorised Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India. This Indian e-Visa is an addition to the existing Visa services. Singaporeans need to apply for the electronic Visa (e-Visa) prior to arrival, i.e. submit your Indian visa forms online and secure the necessary approval before departing for India. Upon arrival in India, travellers on the e-Visa would need to proceed to a “Visa on Arrival” counter at the airport to get their visa stamped on their passport. Please refer to the Indian Visa Online website for more information, and beware of fake websites that claim to offer visa services.
- There are several types of visas issued for travel to India, such as Tourist, Business, and Medical visas. The validity of all visas commences from the date of issue of the visa and not the date of arrival in India. You should ensure that you obtain the right visa for your travel purposes.
- Please note that the visa is valid from the date of issue until the expiry date and not from the date of arrival. Visitors to India must leave India before the stipulated date of expiry of visa as indicated on the visa stamp/notice or will be deemed to have overstayed.
Note: Although termed as “Visa on Arrival” on the official Indian websites, the process requires an online application to be approved prior to trip to India and the visa endorsed on the passport upon arrival in India.
Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card holders: OCI cardholders do not require a visa to enter India, and only need to present a valid passport and OCI card.
Replacement of an Indian Visa
- A Singapore citizen who is issued with a replacement passport in India after a passport has been lost or stolen must bring the replacement passport to the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) to receive an exit visa. This exit visa allows the traveller a specified period of time (usually a few days) in which to leave the country legally.
- If you have lost your passport but need to return to Singapore urgently, the Consular Officer will be able to issue you a Document of Identity (DOI) once your identity has been verified. The DOI also requires an exit visa stamped on it to allow the holder to leave the country legally.
- Without an exit visa stamped on the replacement passport or the DOI, the Indian authorities will not allow you to leave India.
- The Foreigners Regional Registration Office address in New Delhi is as follows:
Foreigners Regional Registration Office
Block 8, Sector 1
Telephone: 91-11-2671-1348, 2671-1384
Procedures for Exit Visa
- For an exit visa, you will be required to provide :
a) Your replacement Singapore passport or DOI
b) The letter issued by the High Commission giving details of your lost/stolen passport
c) A copy of the police report for lost/stolen passport
d) Your official flight itinerary and/or letter from airline on which you arrived, verifying the date and place you entered India
- If your arrival in India is at New Delhi, your exit visa may be issued within a short period. If your arrival in India is at another airport or border crossing, your exit visa may take significantly longer to be issued because Indian authorities will want to verify the details of your arrival in India.
- The Singapore High Commission is unable to intervene in Indian visa requests. The FRRO officials will be in the best position to advise you on how long the process will take.
E-6 Chandragupta Marg
New Delhi 110021
+91 (11) 46000915 (Visa and Consular)
+91 (11) 46000800
+91 (11) 4601 6413 (General)
+91 (11) 4601 6412 (Visa)
+91 (11) 3042 0393
9.00 am to 1.00 pm
1.30 pm to 5.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - closed
The High Commission will be closed on the following Public Holidays.
Advisory for Singaporeans visiting India:
The import and use of satellite phones in India are illegal.