In 2017, there have been various attacks on civilian targets which affected areas popular with tourists and locals. Widely-reported incidents in recent months include the attacks in Lower Manhattan in New York (31 October 2017), at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas (1 October 2017), at Las Ramblas street in Barcelona (17 August 2017), at the London Bridge and Borough Market in London (3 June 2017), and at the Drottninggatan street in Stockholm (7 April 2017).
As a precaution during this holiday travel season, we advise Singaporeans of the following:
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance and be familiar with the terms and coverage.
- Take a few minutes to eRegister with MFA (online or via the MFA@SG mobile app).
- Always take care of your personal safety, and remain vigilant and alert to local security developments.
- Obey the laws and respect the local customs of the countries you are visiting.
- Keep your passport and identity card separate to minimise the risk of you losing both your ID documents.
- Never carry too much cash and valuables. Never leave your valuables unattended.
- Make sure you know the local rules of the road. Ensure that you, your passengers and the vehicle are covered by insurance.
- Exercise caution around large gatherings and avoid locations known for demonstrations or disturbances.
- Monitor the local news and heed the instructions of the local authorities in an emergency.
- Stay in touch with your family and friends in Singapore so that they know you are safe. Inform them of your whereabouts and activities.
In the event that Singaporeans overseas require emergency consular assistance, please call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24-hours) at +65-63798800/8855, email us at email@example.com
. Singaporeans who require consular assistance in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia could also contact the Singapore Embassy in Riyadh or the Singapore Consulate-General in Jeddah:
Embassy of the Republic of Singapore - Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)
Address: Diplomatic Quarter Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Telephone: +966-(11) 480-3855 or +966-500-191220
Fax: +966-(11) 483-0632
Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore - Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
Address: Villa No. 5, Mohammed Tawfic Al Abbasi Street Off Hera'a Street,(Behind Danube Madinah Road) Opposite Al-Ghais Mosque
Telephone: +966-(12) 6073980, 001-966 (12) 6073981 or + 966505596481
Telefax: +966-(12) 6074280