In recent months, there have been attacks on civilian targets that include areas popular with tourists and locals. The most recent examples include the attacks at the Besiktas Stadium in Istanbul on 10 December 2016, St Mark’s Coptic Cathedral Complex in Cairo on 11 December 2016, and the Breitscheidplatz Christmas Market in Berlin on 19 December 2016. In addition, a number of countries including Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia have successfully thwarted planned terror attacks. As a precaution during this holiday season, local authorities in many countries in our immediate region and other parts of the world have raised their level of alertness and tightened security.
Given these developments, MFA would like to remind Singaporeans of the following when travelling overseas:
- Stay in touch with your family and friends so that they know how to contact you. It will be good to share your travel itinerary with them, and in the event of an emergency, do let them know that you are safe.
- eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (via https://eregister.mfa.gov.sg/ or the MFA@SG App) so that we can contact you should there be a need. Upon e-registration, MFA will send you details of the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission based on your travel itinerary, so that you have our contact details within easy reach on your mobile device in the event of an emergency.
- Stay current with the media coverage of local events and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Factor recent developments into your travel plans and activities.
- Exercise caution around large gatherings and avoid locations known for demonstrations or disturbances.
- Take all necessary precautions to ensure your personal safety, and remain vigilant and alert to local security developments.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency. Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance and be familiar with the terms and coverage.
In the event that Singaporeans overseas require emergency consular assistance, please call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24-hours) at +65-63798800/8855, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or get in touch with the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission.