High commission of the Republic of Singapore - Canberra



I am an Australian PR. Do I have to apply for a Singapore visa?

You will have to apply for a Singapore visa if you are a passport holder of a country that requires a visa.


If I am transiting through Singapore, do I still need a visa?

Foreigners transiting in Singapore will not require visas if they remain within the transit area of Changi Airport (Terminals 1, 2 and 3) and do not pass through Singapore Immigration.

Sometimes, foreign visitors may be required to pass through Singapore Immigration if their airlines do not have the necessary transfer facilities. In these cases, the foreign visitor should obtain a visa prior to travel, so that he/she will not meet any difficulties while transiting in Singapore. We advise all travellers who are from a visa-required country and plan to enter Singapore, to apply for a Singapore visa prior to the trip so as to avoid any unnecessary inconvenience or disruption to travel plans. For more information, please refer to the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority website at: www.ica.gov.sg.


Who needs a visa to travel to Singapore?

Please visit the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore’s website at http://www.ica.gov.sg/services_centre_overview.aspx?pageid=252 to check if you require a visa to travel to Singapore.


When should I apply if I am required to travel to Singapore with a visa?

You can apply for a visa up to one month before your intended date of arrival into Singapore. It is not essential to purchase your travel tickets before applying for a visa.


Who decides if I will get a visa?

Your visa application will be processed and decided by Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.


How do I pay for my visa fees?

You may either provide an application fee of A$30 per person by Money Order or Bank Cheque, payable to the "Singapore High Commission, Canberra". (If applying for more than 1 person, one Money Order/ Bank Cheque of number of persons x A$30)


Do I need an appointment to submit my application?

You do not need to make an appointment to submit your application. You may submit in person during our office hours.


Do I need to submit my original passport for submission of application?

You must submit your original passport when you apply for Entry visa.
I am going to Singapore for a holiday but I do not know anyone residing in Singapore as required by Form V39A. What do I have to do?

You are advised to provide a cover letter explaining the reasons of why you are not able to provide Form V39A, together with your visa application. At the same time, it is useful to submit other form of documents, such as your hotel reservations, to supplement your application. However, we do stress that hotel reservations do not act as a substitute for Form V39A.


How can I check the status of my application?

For applications submitted through the High Commission, please refer to our website for details.  You can email us at visa_cbr@sgmfa.gov.sg or call 02-6271-2000. 


For applications submitted through our Authorised Visa Agents, you can check the status of the visa application online using the VFS Reference Number and Date of Birth. You may wish to visit the “Track Your Application” section on their respective websites.


Can I withdraw my application if I had already submitted it?

You may be able to withdraw your application if we have not started the process. To withdraw, you need to provide a letter signed personally by you in original copy.


Will I get a refund if I withdraw my application in time?

Generally, once applications are submitted, there is no refund.


Will I know the reason why my visa application has been rejected?

The specific reason for your rejection will not be made known to you.


I am a visitor in Australia. Can I still apply for a visa to travel to Singapore?

Yes, you may be able to do so. Please check our website for further information.


Can I lodge an online application?

There is no online application for Singapore Entry Visa. You need to approach either VFS offices in the 5 states or Singapore High Commission in Canberra (if you are residing there or able to walk-in).


Can I know the duration of the visa/ How long will my visa be valid?

We are not able to advise you until we start processing the application. It is different for each individual application, but if approved, it will cover your travelling dates.


How long can I stay in Singapore?

This is ultimately determined by the Immigration Officer on arrival in Singapore.


What is the validity of my passport from the intended date of arrival in Singapore?

One of the visa application requirements for Singapore is that all passports need to have a minimum of six months validity from date of arrival in Singapore.  The Singapore High Commission recommends that you renew or extend the passport if this is not the case.
If you require further clarification of this entry requirement, please contact Immigration and Checkpoints Authority on 0011 (65) 6391 6100.


Can I travel with less than six months validity?

You can transit if you do not need to go through immigration in Singapore, though you will still need permission from your airline to board the plane. However, if you do need to go through immigration, you are strongly advised to renew your passport before travelling.


Can I extend my stay in Singapore?

You can apply for an extension, before your current stay expires, in person at the ICA building in Singapore. The address is Immigration & Checkpoints Authority, ICA Building, 10 Kallang Road, Singapore 208718 and their operating hours are 8.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday and 8.00 am to 1.00 pm on Saturday. Closed during Singapore Public Holidays.

Can I pay extra to expedite my visa application?

We do not have such services. However, if you have valid reasons which demand you to travel at a short notice, such as seeking medical treatment in Singapore, you may provide us with a formal letter from the hospital/doctor in Singapore together with your visa application.


How can I find out about work visas?

If you are travelling to Singapore for work or employment, you will need to contact the Ministry of Manpower office in Singapore for advice on which visa to apply for.  This is not processed in Australia.  You can email them at mom_wpd@mom.gov.sg or phone 0011 (65) 6438 5122.


If the Ministry of Manpower informs you that you do not need a work pass and do not need to make notification of your activity, you will need to check with Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority to make sure you can enter Singapore on a tourist entry.  Their contact details can be found at www.ica.gov.sg.


Is it essential for me to confirm my flights before applying for visa to Singapore?

If you do not have a confirmed flight itinerary, you may wish to indicate the intended dates of arrival and departure on a separate piece of paper and attach it to your visa application.


I have lost my e-visa; what should I do?

If you had applied for a visa with the Singapore High Commission in Canberra, you may email us your request for us to retrieve your visa. At the same time, you need to provide us your Travel Document Number and the date when you had applied with us, your name and date of birth.

Can I send a certified copy of my passport instead of my original passport to the Singapore High Commission? I am afraid of losing it during the delivery.

It is a requirement from Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority that your original passport must be presented together with your visa application. Failing to do so will result in your visa application delayed or rejected.  As such, we strongly recommend that you send all your documents using registered post which can be arranged with the Australian Post yourself. After the visa is approved/rejected, you will need to make a trip down to the Singapore High Commission to collect your visa/documents.

I have an existing visa, but had just changed my passport. Can I extend my visa?

We do not do extension of visa. However, we can transfer your current visa from your old passport to your new passport. Please send both your old and new passports (including current Singapore Visa), Australian contact details, Form 14A and a self-addressed envelope to the Singapore High Commission. 


There is no fee charged for the transfer of visa to your new passport.


I do not have an Australian Visa label in my passport. What should I do?

It is not necessary to have the Australian Visa label reflected in your passport, but you will need to print out the electronic version of the latest Australian Visa and attach it to your visa application.


I am travelling to Singapore using my Diplomatic Passport. Do I need a visa?

You may contact the Singapore High Commission, Canberra for information.



17 Forster Crescent Yarralumla ACT 2600


+61-2 6273-9823 /
+61-2 6273-8165

Trade enquiries:


Visa & PR Matters:
Citizen Services:

General enquiries:

Working Hours:

Mon to Fri
8.30am to 12.30pm;
1.30pm to 5.00pm

Location Map

OM e-banner - DRAFT V2b
OM MFA@SG website banner
OSU Logo