To be eligible to apply for a passport, you must be a Singapore citizen.
You may either apply online via the ICA Singpass e-service (recommended), or you may mail* a hard-copy application, with supporting documents and fee payment, to the Singapore High Commission in Canberra. Refer to the instructions and Notes below.
Online Application with Singpass (Recommended)
SINGPASS: Need to apply for a Singpass and Singpass token? Visit the Singpass website here to find out more.
PROCEDURE: Login to the ICA Singpass e-Service using your SingPass 2FA token
1. Check your particulars and enter your Australian contact details (mobile, email address and residential address)
2. Select ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ to “Are you collecting in Singapore?”. If you select ‘No’, then select ‘CANBERRA’ as the collection centre
3. Attach a digital copy of your passport photo when prompted
4. Confirm your application details
5. Submit payment when prompted
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: A digital version of your recent passport-sized colour photograph taken within the last three months and against a white background. Your photo must follow ICA’s photo requirements here, failing which your application will be delayed. The digital format should be JPEG, 400px by 514px, max 150kb.
FEES: SGD 70 fee, payable online by Visa/Mastercard Debit/Credit card or American Express card, OR Internet Banking account from DBS/POSB, Citibank, OCBC or UOB.
PROCESSING TIME: Three to four weeks, pending all information submitted duly. You may check your application status by accessing ICA Singpass e-Service.
COLLECTION: If you have selected Canberra as your collection centre, the Singapore High Commission will notify you by email once your passport is ready for collection. Ensure your Australian contact details are updated and you remain accessible by email or phone. We will also advise you on collection instructions. You will need to submit your current/old passport for cancellation. Once cancelled, your old passport will be returned to you. Refer to the Notes below.
Hard-copy Application by Mail
PROCEDURE: Mail* the documents required, and payment, by trackable - registered or express platinum - post or courier service to the address below. At the point of mailing, retain a record of your tracking number to allow you to track the delivery of your postage.
Attn: Consular officer
Singapore High Commission in Canberra
17 Forster Crescent
Yarralumla, ACT 2600
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: Attach the following form and supporting documents:
1. Printed and completed overseas application form - downloadable via this link Singapore Passport Application (overseas).
- Indicate your name in the same sequence as per current passport name (unless you have changed your name)
- Indicate Local Address and Local Telephone as your Australian address and telephone
- Ensure that Part II point (c) is declared and selected accurately, failing which your application will be delayed
2. One passport-sized colour photograph taken within the last three months and against a white background. Your photo must follow ICA’s photo guidelines here, failing which your application will be delayed.
3. Photocopy of current Singapore passport
4. Your Australian email address, mobile number and residential address indicated on a separate sheet of paper
5. Payment of AUD 79 for passport application fee (see below)
6. (If male) Copy of valid Exit Permit or Notice of Exemption
7. (If over 16 years old) Photocopy of Identity Card (NRIC)
8. (If below 16 years old) Photocopy of Identity Card (NRIC) of a consenting parent or legal guardian
9. (If below 16 years old or without NRIC card) Photocopy of birth or citizenship certificate
10. (If change of name due to marriage or deed poll) Photocopy of marriage certificate or deed poll. For married name, please specify how you wish your married name to appear in the new passport.
FEES: AUD 79 fee, sent with the application and supporting documents, and prepared as:
- Australian Money Order (purchased at any Auspost branch); OR
- Bank cheque (issued at your bank branch). We do not accept personal or handwritten cheques.
- Make out your Money Order or Bank cheque to the “Singapore High Commission in Canberra”
- For security reasons, do not send cash by mail
PROCESSING TIME: Four to six weeks, if ICA has all the necessary documents. You may check your application status by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not heard from us after four weeks.
COLLECTION: The Singapore High Commission will notify you by email once your passport is ready for collection. Please ensure your Australian contact details are provided to us and you remain accessible by email or phone. We will also advise you on collection instructions. You will need to submit your current/old passport for cancellation. Once cancelled, your old passport will be returned to you. Refer to the Notes below.
- Collection Timeline: You are strongly encouraged to collect your passport within one month. Passports not collected after three months will be cancelled and no refund of the passport fee will be given.
- Identity Verification: Passport applicants (including children) are required by ICA to present themselves in person at least once, either during application or collection of their passports, to have their identity verified. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Singapore High Commission at email@example.com to discuss alternatives to secure collection. In your notification email, we will also advise you in detail on collection instructions.
- *Risks of postal/courier services: The Singapore High Commission is not responsible for any document lost in the mail or transmitted through courier services. Please consider the risks involved in sending valuable items by mail, which may be lost in transit from time to time. If you decide to use a postal or courier service, you should use reputable, trackable services such as Registered post or Express and Express Platinum postal envelopes, or Express courier services, and employ optional services such person-to-person delivery or online tracking of delivery. Using such services reduces the risk of your valuable mail being lost without tracking. If you are very concerned for the security of your valuable items being lost in transit, you may wish to consider applying online and collecting your passport in person in Canberra or in Singapore.
- Passport Validity: Most countries, including Singapore, require passports to have a minimum of six months validity for travelling. If you have a valid passport with a remaining validity of nine months or less when applying for the new passport, you should apply for a new passport, and the remaining validity will be carried over to your new passport. In this case, your new passport will have a validity of five years, plus the remaining validity of your old passport (up to nine months).