The Embassy will assist you to forward your application for the Registration of Citizenship by Descent to the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), which is the processing authority.
Alternatively, you can apply for citizenship for your child online through an e-application Electronic Singapore Citizenship Application (e-SC) available at ICA website (http://www.ica.gov.sg). Please note that this on-line facility can only be used if your child’s age is 1 year old and below during time of application.
An overseas-born minor (child) may be eligible for Citizenship by Descent, if any of the following conditions can be met:
- The father is a Singapore citizen by Birth who has a lawful marriage at time of child’s birth;
- The father is a Singapore citizen by Registration who has a lawful marriage at time of child’s birth and child shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country;
- The mother is a Singapore citizen by Birth and the child born on or after 15 May 2004;
- The mother is a Singapore citizen by Registration and the child born on or after 15 May 2004. The child shall not acquire citizenship of the country he was born by reason of his birth in that country;
- The father (who has a lawful marriage at time of child’s birth) or mother, is a Singapore citizen by Descent has to complete an additional Annex form to the application declaring their residence period in Singapore. The application can only be accepted if the applicant fulfils the requirements stipulated in the Annex.
Note: The application has to be submitted within one year of the child’s birth. Otherwise, a letter of explanation is required for late submission.
The following documents (original and photocopy) should be submitted:
- Child’s birth certificate and passport/travel document;
- Parents’ identity cards;
- Parents’ birth certificates;
- Parents’ passports;
- Parents’ marriage certificate. If the marriage was registered outside Singapore, the child’s father is required to make a Statutory Declaration stating that (name of wife) is his one and only wife if he is the applicant for child’s citizenship;
- Parents’ divorce certificate/separation deed/custody document of child or children by previous spouses (if applicable) and spouse’s death certificate (if applicable). Letter of consent from ex-spouse if child is under joint-custody;
The following additional documents (original and photocopy) are required to be submitted if application is submitted after one year of minor’s birth:
- Parents’ letter of employment from current employer stating date of employment, position held and monthly basic/gross salary (including latest payslip), if employed;
- Parents’ income tax Notice of Assessment for the last 3 years (preceding date of application);
- Parents’ business registration certificate from Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA), latest balance sheet/profit and loss account (if applicant is a sole proprietor/partner or director of a company);
- CPF contributions history for the last 12 months, if employed.
Non-English Language Documents
Documents not printed in the English language must be officially translated into English. Translations done by the Embassy of the document-issuing country, or a local Notary Public are acceptable. A privately translated copy attested by the Embassy of the document-issuing country or notarised by a local Notary Public is also acceptable.
(For applicants who are at least 21 years old)
A non-refundable processing fee of S$100 is payable upfront for every application submitted.
If the application is successful, S$70 is payable for the Singapore Citizenship Certificate. New citizens who are above 15 years old must obtain a pink National Registration Identity Card at a fee of S$10.
(For overseas born child where one of the biological parents is a Singapore Citizen and the child’s parents are legally married, at the time of the child’s birth)
The fee is S$18
(All other overseas or locally born minors)
A non-refundable processing fee of S$100 is payable, and an additional fee of S$70 is payable for the issuance of Singapore Citizenship Certificate if the application is approved.
For S$ payment, please issue a Singapore cheque that is made payable to Commissioner, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.
6 to 12 months (apply via counter at Embassy)
Collection of Passport
The Embassy will inform you of the collection date when we receive the citizenship certificate from ICA. The applicant or spouse must come to the Embassy personally with the child (if the child is not present during submission of application) to collect the citizenship certificate
The child may also apply for a Singapore passport during citizenship application. For passport application procedures, please see Application of Singapore Biometric Passport for more information.
For more information, please contact the Embassy at:
Tel: + (86) (10) 65321115 Ext 131 or 132
Fax: + (86) (10) 65329407
Please see the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) Homepage for more information.
The child must be present at the Embassy at least once, either during submission of citizenship application at the counter or during collection of citizenship certificate.