Singapore and Vietnam share excellent bilateral relations, underpinned by the Strategic Partnership Agreement concluded in September 2013 during Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s official visit to Vietnam. Our economic ties are robust, with bilateral trade growing steadily over the last decade. Our strong economic cooperation is symbolised by the Vietnam-Singapore Industrial Parks (VSIPs), of which the 1st VSIP in Binh Duong celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2016. The Connectivity Framework Agreement (CFA), in force since 23 January 2006, provides the overarching framework for bilateral economic cooperation across six sectors (education and training, finance, investments, information technology and telecommunications, trade and services, and transportation).
Vietnam is also the top recipient country under the Singapore Cooperation programme (SCP). As part of Singapore’s commitment to the Initiative for ASEAN Integration, the Vietnam-Singapore Training Centre was established in Hanoi in November 2001 to train Vietnam officials.
- President of the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Mdm Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan made an Official Visit to Singapore from 26 to 28 November at the invitation of Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin. Ngan also separately called on President Halimah Yacob and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, where they reaffirmed the warm relations and strategic partnership between Singapore and Vietnam.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong attended the 25th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Da Nang, Vietnam, from 10 to 11 November, while Minister (Trade and Industry – Trade) Lim Hng Kiang and Senior Minister of State (Defence) (Foreign Affairs) Dr Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman attended the 29th APEC Ministerial Meeting (AMM) from 7 to 9 November.
- Party Secretary of Cao Bang Province Nguyen Hoang Anh led a Communist Party of Vietnam study visit delegation to Singapore from 24 to 28 July on the theme of good governance and public administration.
- His Excellency Truong Hoa Binh, Member of the Politburo of Communist Party of Vietnam and Permanent Deputy Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, made an official visit to Singapore from 13 to 15 July.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made an official visit to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City from 21 to 24 March.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made an introductory visit to Vietnam from 25 to 27 October.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean made a working visit to Vietnam from 11 to 14 September.
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang made a State Visit to Singapore from 28 to 30 August.
- Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung visited Singapore twice for Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s State Funeral Service in March and the SG50 National Day Parade in August.
- Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob led a parliamentary delegation to Vietnam from 2 to 4 April.
Last updated: December 2017