Singapore and Thailand share excellent and multi-faceted bilateral ties, and celebrated the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations in 2015. We also cooperate closely at regional and international fora. Strong economic links and robust defence ties are key pillars of the relationship. We also have extensive technical cooperation, including under the Singapore Cooperation Programme (SCP) and the Singapore-Thailand Third Country Training Programme (TCTP), where both countries jointly provide technical assistance to other developing countries in the region.
Our close bilateral relations are also reflected in the extensive cooperation among agencies. The Singapore-Thailand Enhanced Partnership (STEP), launched in 1997, provides the framework for long-term strategic partnership in economic cooperation, defence relations, people-to-people cooperation and the Civil Service Exchange Programme (CSEP). Under the CSEP, regular study visits and training programmes are conducted between both countries.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong made a working visit to Bangkok, Thailand from 16 to 17 November. He delivered a keynote address at the Bangkok Post Forum 2017, “ASEAN@50: In Retrospect” on 16 November. ESM Goh also called on Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-chan and Privy Councillor President General Prem Tinsulanonda.
- President Halimah Yacob and Mr Mohamed Abdullah Alhabshee attended the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej at Sanam Luang in Bangkok, Thailand on 26 October.
- Thailand Minister of Foreign Affairs Don Pramudwinai made an official visit to Singapore from 21 to 22 August at the invitation of Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, and in conjunction with the 13th Coordinating Meeting of the Thailand-Singapore Civil Service Exchange Programme (CSEP13).
- President Tony Tan Keng Yam and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong visited Thailand to pay respects to the late His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej on 24 October and from 20 to 21 October respectively.
- Thai Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha visited Singapore to deliver the keynote address at the 15th Shangri-La Dialogue on 3 June.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean made a working visit to Thailand from 29 to 30 May.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made an introductory visit to Thailand from 28 to 29 March.
- Thai Princess HRH Maha Chakri Sirindhorn visited Singapore to attend the opening ceremony of the Global Young Scientists Summit (GYSS) 2016 on 17 January.
- Minister (Defence) Dr Ng Eng Hen made a working visit to Thailand from 16 to 17 November.
- Thai Princess Her Royal Highness Maha Chakri Sirindhorn visited Singapore to attend the 9th International Convention on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology (i-CREATe 2015) from 13 to 14 August as its Guest-of-Honour.
- Thai Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha made an introductory visit to Singapore from 11 to 12 June. Prime Minister Prayut visited again for the SG50 National Day Parade in August.
- Thai Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Tanasak Patimapragorn made an introductory visit to Singapore from 4 to 6 June, and also attended the Opening Ceremony of the 28th South East Asian (SEA) Games on 5 June.
- Thai Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence General Prawit Wongsuwon made an introductory visit to Singapore from 21 to 23 May.
- Thai Princess Her Royal Highness Maha Chakri Sirindhorn visited Singapore to attend the opening ceremony of the Global Young Scientists Summit (GYSS) 2015 on 18 January.
Last updated: December 2017