Singapore and Myanmar celebrated the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations in 2016. Both countries enjoy very good bilateral relations and work closely at regional and multilateral fora. Economic relations are growing, with Singapore being consistently among Myanmar’s top investors and trading partners in recent years.
Since 2001, Singapore has been supporting Myanmar’s human resource development through the Singapore Cooperation Programme (SCP) and the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI). Through the Singapore-Myanmar Technical Cooperation Programme (SMTCP), Singapore also shares our developmental experience (in economic development, human resource development, and public administration) with Myanmar. Both sides launched the Singapore-Myanmar Vocational Training Institute (SMVTI) in June 2016 (during Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s official visit) as a symbol of our vocational education cooperation in engineering services, electrical skills and electronics, facilities management, and hospitality.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan attended the 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (FMM13) on 20 November chaired by State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi. Under the theme “Strengthening Partnership for Peace and Sustainable Development”, the Ministers discussed ways to enhance cooperation between Asia and Europe, and exchanged views on regional and international issues.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan visited Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar, on 15 September and met Myanmar State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong made a visit to Nay Pyi Taw from 14 to 16 March.
- Myanmar State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi made an official visit to Singapore from 30 November to 2 December.
- Myanmar Union Minister for Education Dr Myo Thein Gyi visited Singapore in August to learn about Singapore’s education system.
- Yangon Region Chief Minister U Phyo Min Thein visited Singapore in July to learn about Singapore’s experience with hawker centres and water management.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made an official visit to Myanmar from 7 to 9 June. This was Prime Minister Lee’s first visit since the National League for Democracy (NLD) was elected into government.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan mad e an introductory visit to Myanmar from 17 to 19 May.
- Myanmar President Thein Sein attended Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s State Funeral Service in Singapore in March.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited Myanmar from 2 to 5 February.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean visited Myanmar from 30 June to 2 July.
- Minister (Trade & Industry - Trade) Lim Hng Kiang co-chaired the 5th Singapore-Myanmar Joint Ministerial Working Committee (JMWC) on 6 July in Yangon, Myanmar, with Myanmar Union Energy Minister and Myanmar Investment Commission Chairman U Zeya Aung. This JMWC meeting was reconvened after a hiatus of 14 years.
Last updated: December 2017