OVERVIEW OF RELATIONS
Singapore enjoys warm and multifaceted bilateral relations with the countries of South Asia, where relations are underpinned by growing economic ties and people-to-people exchanges. We also enjoy close bilateral cooperation in international fora and regular high-level political interactions.
RECENT KEY VISITS
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan visited Sri Lanka from 31 August to 1 September to attend the Second Indian Ocean Conference (IOC) in Colombo.
- Visit by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to Singapore from 28 to 29 September as the 57th Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellow.
- Bhutanese Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay made an official visit to Singapore from 27 to 30 November.
- Senior Minister of State (Defence and Foreign Affairs) Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman visited Bangladesh from 24 to 26 October.
- Sri Lanka PM Ranil Wickremesinghe visited Singapore in September to deliver the keynote address at the inaugural Indian Ocean Conference.
- Bangladesh Foreign Minister Abul Hassan Mahmood Ali visited Singapore in September for the inaugural Indian Ocean Conference.
- Sri Lanka PM Ranil Wickremesinghe made an Official Visit to Singapore in July, and was accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera and Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Malik Samarawickrama.
- Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S Iswaran made an official visit to Sri Lanka in May.
- Bangladesh Minister for Shipping Shajahan Khan made a working visit to Singapore in May.
- Sri Lanka Minister of Law & Order and Southern Development Sagala Ratnayake made a working visit to Singapore in May.
- Bangladesh Chief Justice Surendra Kuma Sinha made a working visit to Singapore in April.
- Bangladesh Minister for Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment Nurul Islam made a working visit to Singapore in February.
- Bangladesh Minister of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives Khandker Mosharraf Hossain made a working visit to Singapore in February.
- Sri Lanka Minister of Foreign Employment Thalatha Athukorala made a working visit to Singapore in January.
- Bangladesh State Minister for Post and Telecommunications Tarana Halim made a working visit to Singapore in January.
- Sri Lanka Minister of Foreign Affairs Mangala Samaraweera made his introductory visit to Singapore in November.
- Sri Lankan PM Ranil Wickremesinghe made a private visit to Singapore in October. During the visit, he was hosted to lunch by PM Lee Hsien Loong.
- Sri Lankan Minister of Industries and Commerce Rishad Bathiudeen made a working visit to Singapore in October.
- Bangladesh Minister for Commerce Tofail Ahmed, Bangladesh International Affairs Advisor to the PM Gowher Rizvi and Bangladesh State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid Bipu visited Singapore to attend the Bangladesh Trade and Investment Summit in August.
- Maldives Minister of Foreign Affairs Dunya Maumoon made a working visit to Singapore in August.
- Bangladesh State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid Bipu visited Singapore to attend the 4th Asia-Singapore Infrastructure Roundtable in April.
Last updated: October 2017