Ties between Singapore and the Republic of Korea (ROK) are multifaceted and underpinned by close economic cooperation. The bilateral relationship has also grown to encompass areas such as biomedical cooperation and defence. In recent years, there has been an increase in study visits between the two countries, as well as youth and education exchanges.
A key milestone was the Korea-Singapore Free Trade Agreement, which took effect in 2006. Businesses from both sides have growing investment interests in each other’s markets. As of 2015, the ROK was Singapore’s 9th largest trading partner, while Singapore was the ROK’s 10th largest trading partner. ROK and Singapore marked the 40th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties in 2015.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had a bilateral meeting with President of the Republic of Korea Moon Jae-in, on the sidelines of the 31st ASEAN Summit and Related Summits in Manila on 14 November. They reaffirmed the strong bilateral ties between the two countries, and discussed ways to enhance our relationship.
- Senior Minister of State (Defence) (Foreign Affairs) Dr Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman visited Daejeon from 10 to 13 September for the Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum.
- Minister (Prime Minister’s Office) and Second Minister (Foreign Affairs) (Manpower) Mrs Josephine Teo made a working visit to the ROK from 2 to 4 July.
- ROK Speaker of the 20th National Assembly Chung Sye-kyun visited Singapore from 19 to 21 March 2017.
- ROK Governor of the Jeju Special Self-Governing Province Won Hee-ryong visited Singapore under the S R Nathan Fellowship from 11 to 14 July.
- ROK Mayor of Seoul Metropolitan Government Park Won-soon visited Singapore as the 54th Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellow from 9 to 12 July.
- ROK Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Kang Ho-in visited Singapore from 12 to 13 June.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited the ROK from 24 to 27 May, where he delivered a keynote speech at the 11th Jeju Forum for Peace and Prosperity.
- Senior Minister of State (Prime Minister’s Office, Foreign Affairs, and Transport) Josephine Teo visited the ROK from 13 to 16 March.
- ROK Minister of Personnel Management Lee Geun-myeon visited Singapore from 8 to 11 December.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited Seoul from 3 to 5 November, where he delivered a keynote speech at the 10th Global HR Forum.
- ROK Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Yoo Il-ho visited Singapore for the SG50 National Day Parade on 9 August.
- Minister of State (Trade and Industry) Teo Ser Luck led a Small and Medium Enterprises Workgroup Study Mission to the ROK from 7 to 9 April.
- Minister (Education) Heng Swee Keat made a study visit to the ROK from 25 to 28 January.
Last update: December 2017