SINGAPORE CONSULATE-GENERAL’S INVOLVEMENT IN COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES IN HO CHI MINH CITY AND THE SOUTHERN PROVINCES OF VIETNAM
The Consulate-General participates in various community projects both on its own, as well as with the Singaporean and diplomatic community in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC). Such projects contribute to the Vietnamese community at large. Where they involve Singaporeans, these efforts have also helped to forge a stronger community spirit and cohesion among Singaporeans living and working in Vietnam.
Below are some of the key charity/community activities participated by the Consulate-General in HCMC and the surrounding provinces in the last few years.
Singapore National Day Charity Golf and Dinner organised by Singapore Business Group (SBG) HCMC Chapter
- The Consulate-General supports the SBG in this annual fund raising charity activity. As the Patron of the SBG, the Consul-General provides support for the golf event and the dinner. Proceeds raised from the auction of donated items during the dinner go toward providing education scholarships for needy Vietnamese students in HCMC and the surrounding southern provinces. Over the last 10 years, the event had raised US$330,000, which benefited over 1,900 Vietnamese high school and undergraduate students.
Consular Club of Ho Chi Minh City
- Singapore is one of the active members of the Consular Club of Ho Chi Minh City. The Consulate-General staff are members of this Club. The main activity of the Club is the Annual Consular Club Charity Bazaar held in November and participated by all Consular Missions in Ho Chi Minh City. The funds raised are used to support the various Charity Projects of the Consular Club. Two current projects initiated by Singapore are the funding for the distribution of hand wash kits to patients of the Paediatric Oncology Ward of the Ho Chi Minh City Cancer Centre and the “Milk for Needy Children” Programme.
- Every year, the Consulate-General rallies together Singaporean ladies based in HCMC to participate in the fund raising Bazaar. The mission’s staff and the Singaporean Ladies Group (SLG) take up a Country stall in the Bazaar which generally involved selling a variety of donated goods from Singaporean companies based in Vietnam. In 2010, the Club raised over US$100,000 at the Bazaar (the Singapore stall raised about US$6,300 through the sale of gift and food items as well as cash donor sponsors).
Singapore Ladies' Group (SLG)
- A group of Singaporean ladies living in HCMC formed this grouping in 2005 to participate in a number of community projects. The Consulate-General provides informal support for their activities through the channeling of charity funds from the Consular Club of Ho Chi Minh City. The SLG has been active in the following community projects:
- SLG worked together with Somerset Residences on a “Milk for Needy Children” Programme to supply milk on a monthly basis for 41 children in two homes – Bao Shelter and Mai Am Hong An Home. The programme was launched during the celebration for International Women’s Day on 7 March 2008.
- SLG also supports the Mai Am An Sang (boys' orphanage for 25 children) and the Binh Loi Shelter home of 40 children aged 5-16, through gift giving on Tet (Vietnamese New Year), International Children's Day (1 June), Mid Autumn Festival and Christmas Charity Cheers.
Community Involvement Project (CIP)
- In conjunction with the Singapore Public Service Week in May each year, the Consulate-General also conducts its community involvement project by visiting and making modest contributions to a local charity organisation each year. The visit allows staff to take time out to interact and share with those less fortunate. The Consulate-General visited the Te Phan Orphanage in 2010, and Mai Am An Sang Boys’ Orphanage in 2011.