Our consular assistance includes the following:
- Provide you with information, advice and consular assistance.
- Issue you with an emergency travel document if you have lost your Singapore passport overseas. Please note that it is an Immigration requirement that you report the loss of your passport to the local police and furnish our Mission with a copy of this report.
- Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
- Notify your next-of-kin in the event that you are injured abroad.
- Notify your next-of-kin in the event of your arrest or detention.
- Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned and monitor that due process under the judicial system of that country is accorded to him or her.
- Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services where this is available.
- Assist in making the arrangements for the return to Singapore of the remains and personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean overseas.
- Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder in the foreign country.
Consular assistance does not include the following:
- Payment of your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills, fines and the posting of bails.
- Provision of loans or cash your cheques.
- Intervention in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
- Intervention in or act as an intermediary in disputes which are of a civil nature.
- Provision of legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
- Acting as your guarantor or sponsor.
- Arrangement for transportation, accommodation or work.
- Provision of translation, mail-forwarding, telephone, fax/telex or other personal services.
Lost Passports and Application for Document of Identity (DOI)
The following procedures are required if your passport is lost or stolen and you need to return to Singapore urgently:
- Lodge a police report at the closest police station where the passport was lost or stolen and request for a copy of the police report. Where possible, request for an English version of the report.
- Visit the Singapore Permanent Mission in Geneva and bring along the following items:
- Police report
- 2 passport-sized photographs taken within the last 3 months
- Fee of CHF 11
- Confirmed flight ticket to Singapore
Please note that the DOI is meant strictly to facilitate your single journey return to Singapore and you are required to surrender the DOI and apply for a replacement passport at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) once you return to Singapore. For information on the individual Schengen Area Member States’ policy on the DOI, you may wish to visit the European Commission on Migration and Home Affairs website (https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas_en).
Singapore Citizens who are resident in Switzerland may apply for a replacement passport at the Singapore Permanent Mission.