In recent months, there have been attacks carried out by terrorists on civilian targets that include international airports and areas popular with tourists and locals. The most recent examples include the attacks on Istanbul Ataturk Airport on 28 June 2016, a nightspot in Selangor on 28 June 2016, a café in Dhaka on 1 July 2016, and a busy shopping district in Baghdad on 3 July 2016. Like in Singapore, local authorities in many countries in our immediate region and other parts of the world have raised their level of alertness due to terrorist threats in recent months. At the same time, we are seeing more Singaporeans travelling overseas and in greater frequency.
Given these developments, MFA would like to remind Singaporeans of the following when travelling overseas:
- eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (https://eregister.mfa.gov.sg/) so that we can contact you should there be a need. Find out where the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission (https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/missions/singapore_mission
/mission_locator.html) is to your location and store the contact details for easy reach.
- Stay current with the media coverage of local events and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Factor recent developments into your travel plans and activities.
- Exercise caution around large gatherings and avoid locations known for demonstrations or disturbances.
- Take all necessary precautions to ensure your personal safety, and remain vigilant and alert to local security developments.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency. Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance and be familiar with the terms and coverage.
- Stay in touch with your family and friends so that they know how to contact you. It will be good to share your travel itinerary with them, and in the event of an emergency, do let them know that you are safe.
We hope the above will help. In the event that Singaporeans overseas require emergency consular assistance, please call the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24-hours) at +65-63798800/8855, email us at email@example.com, or get in touch with the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission.