SINGAPORE'S FOREIGN POLICY
As a small state, Singapore has no illusions about the state of our region or the world.
Fundamental principles of Singapore’s foreign policy
- We need to maintain a credible and deterrent military defence to underpin our foreign policy.
- We must promote and work for good relations with our neighbours in all spheres.
- We are friends with all those who wish to be friends with us.
- We stand by our friends who have stood by us in times of need.
- We fully support and are committed to ASEAN.
- We work to maintain a secure and peaceful environment in and around Southeast Asia and in the Asia Pacific region.
- We must work to maintain a free and open multilateral trading system.
- We are ready to trade with any state for mutual benefit and will maintain an open market economy.
- We will support and be active in international organisations such as the UN.