There are three main categories of applicants for Singapore Citizenship applicants:
- Adults who are Singapore Permanent Residents and who meet the required criteria for Singapore Citizenship
- Minors applying for Singapore Citizenship by descent [Article 122(1)]
- Minors applying for Singapore Citizenship under other circumstances/Articles
Please click here for detailed information on the criteria and the application forms for Singapore Citizenship. The forms are also available at the Embassy's Consular section.
- If a child is born in Japan and either parent is a Singapore citizen by descent or registration, the parents may submit an application for Singapore Citizenship for the child to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) or the Singapore Embassy in Tokyo.
- The application has to be submitted by the parents as soon as it is convenient to do so but before the child's first birthday. A letter of explanation and additional documents are required for late submissions. Please note that the parents must be legally married at the time of the child's birth.
- The citizenship status of your child is an important matter and should be treated as such. We strongly urge parents to seek advice on this subject matter from the ICA or the Embassy before the birth of their child.
- Since 1 January 1999, a child aged 15 years or below will be required to obtain his or her own passport. The parents need to first apply for Singapore Citizenship for their child at either the ICA or Embassy if the child is not yet a Singapore citizen. Upon the approval of the application, the child will be formally registered as a Singapore citizen. Only then will the child be eligible for a Singapore International Passport.
The fee for the application for Singapore Citizenship and issuance of a citizenship certificate is 10,630 yen.
Electronic Singapore Citizenship (eSC)
The following schemes are available for application via eSC (Electronic Singapore Citizenship Application) with a SingPass account:
- Singapore Citizen by Descent Scheme
- Children of age 1 year old and below born outside of Singapore to Singapore Citizen parent(s).
- The applicant has to fax the duly completed supplementary form, a copy of the marriage certificate and the child’s birth certificate to the ICA at fax number +(65) 6293 6956 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Family Ties Scheme
- Singaporeans sponsoring their spouses and husbands and children for Singapore Citizenship.
- Economic Scheme
- Applicants applying based on their own merits, aged 21 and above.
Once the application has been finalised, you or your local representative will be required to bring along the applicant’s original Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (and other required documents) to the ICA for verification. Alternatively, the applicant may wish to approach the Embassy to endorse and certify copies of the required documents.
If the applicant does not have a local contact person, the application can be submitted through the nearest Singapore Embassy.