If you who are travelling or residing in Cambodia and have lost your passport, you must report the loss immediately to the Embassy. The Embassy can then assist you to obtain a temporary travel document called Document of Identity (DOI) to facilitate your return to Singapore, or a replacement passport if you are residing in Cambodia and do not have plans to travel to Singapore in the short term.
This is what you need to do:
- Lodge a report with the local police and obtain a copy of the report (in English).
If you are unable to obtain a report, request for an acknowledgement slip or receipt. If none of the articles are available, request for the report number and note down the name/location of the police station.
- Make an appointment to see the Embassy Consular Officer with the following documents or information:
- Police report. If not available, you will have to execute a Statutory Declaration to report the loss. A notary fee will be levied for the Statutory Declaration.
- Documentary proof of your Singapore citizenship (eg. Identity Card)
- 2 passport-sized colour photographs.
- Apply for a Document of Identity (DOI) or a replacement passport, whichever is applicable. More information on passport application is available here. The prevailing fee for a passport application (and replacement surcharge) or DOI will be levied.
Upon receipt of the DOI or replacement passport, you will need to report to the Department of Foreigners, Ministry of Interior (opposite Phnom Penh International Airport) to apply for a visa or exit visa whichever is applicable. A fee will be levied by the Cambodian authorities for the visa or exit visa.
The processing time of the exit visa is about 3 working days, and you may therefore need to adjust your travel plans accordingly. Please note that if you do not possess a valid exit visa from the Department of Foreigners, you will not be allowed to depart Cambodia.
Document of Identity and Cambodian Exit Visa
Singaporeans on short-visits or holidays overseas who lose their passport overseas may be issued with a temporary travel document (Document of Identity or DOI) to facilitate your return to Singapore. The issuance of DOI is however subject to approval from the relevant Singapore authorities. The processing time is about 1 working day.
After you obtain the DOI from the Embassy, you will then need to apply for a Cambodian exit visa from the Department of Foreigners, Ministry of Interior (opposite Phnom Penh International Airport). You will need to bring the DOI and a letter from the Embassy. A fee will be levied by the Cambodian authorities for the exit visa. The processing time for the exit visa is about 3 working days.
As such, Singaporeans who have confirmed travel plans may find that they would have to adjust their travel dates accordingly, taking into account the processing time required for the DOI and the Cambodian exit visa.
The DOI is only valid for one-way travel to Singapore. It cannot be used for travel to any other countries. Upon your arrival at Changi Airport, you will be required to surrender the DOI to the immigration officer.
You will then need to apply for a replacement Singapore Passport in person at ICA. For more information on passport application, please visit ICA’s website.